Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Design notebook


This is the configuration of the windows in my parlor.  The upper, circular portion is presently bare and the lower portion is covered with plain white blinds.  The parlor is one of the prettiest rooms in the house. It is small, cozy and not too formal because we placed an antique pine china hutch in there to anchor the room.  The pine give it a very relaxed feeling.

I've been meaning to tackle the windows in our house and the parlor is my first project.  I saw this swag treatment at an Ernest Thompson retail store many many years ago and have always remembered it.  The treatment is merely a long loop of plain cotton muslin knotted at the bottom of each loop. 

I selected this treatment for the room because (1) it's easy to make with a needle and thread and (2) it will provide visual interest in the upper portion of the room -- the ceilings are over 12 feet.  The windows receive indirect afternoon sunlight and I think we can safely remove the blinds and not subject the interior furnishings to sun damage or fading.  Well, that's my hypothesis anyway.

The investment in supplies was small, so if it the results don't look good, I can move on to another idea without a big pain in the purse.  Hopefully, it will be finished soon.

1 comment:

  1. Oooo...oooo...

    Ok, I'm LOVIN' the look of this, Diane!

    What a great idea. Especially the swag treatment. And I can just imagine it hanging in front plain white blinds.

    I may have to steal this idea from you because I have three tall windows in my apartment that overlook the city. Right now, I just have simple plain white mini-blinds as window treatments.

    Can't wait to see you finished results!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Passionate about shoes, serenity, chocolate, innovation, fireflies, community service, creative expression, tolerance and love.

Lovely blogs

search